sunny greys




Amidst the beautiful colours of fall (yadda yadda...swoon swoon), it's also been nice to see some grey-on-grey looks for the season. I'd been looking for a full light-grey skirt for several years and finally found this Banana Republic dress at Value Village last winter.  I have no need of yet another grey jumper dress (I already have at least 3) so this is due for some chopping to become the perfect skirt.  A travesty, I know, for such a nice wool piece, but it's really not so well cut in the bust.  With a subtly striped sweater, you'd never know it wasn't a skirt.  For now...


J Crew striped sweater, Banana Republic skirt/dress, Indigo boots
Feeling a little more adventurous another day recently, I went for the ol' stripes and florals classic of pattern mixing.  Except all in grey.  It was quite satisfying, especially since it encourages more attention to texture and the subtleties of tone.

Vintage striped dress, Joe Fresh sweater, Camper shoes

These aren't the best pictures (oh, the outdoor opportunities I squandered this summer!  darn it!) but you get the idea.  My grey kitty who wandered into the frame and got picked up, much to his dismay.  He has a very teeny tiny bit of self-respect. For a fat cat.



I was actually inspired to play with greys by a Michael Kors ad, with oversized grey sweater and draping textured scarf that totally set the tone for autumn.  Except for some reason I can't find it online, sunny greys and all.  But I did find some other inspirations along the way...

More Michael Kors (I should have started knitting a year ago to accomplish this...)  Oh, sweaters and boots!

Casual and draped street style:


Oversized coats and layered greys (with just a hint of orange):


And just plain lovely oversized coats:


Plus more greys on greys:


 

Oh, and while we're talking about Michael Kors, I'm happy to announce that he is espousing artfully tousled hair.  Which is pretty much how my tresses end up when I blindly stick in the bobby pins on my way to the subway every morning.  Laziness wins!  (If only I'd kept my hair a little longer...)

I think I may just be a little colourless tomorrow too (it's okay- this weekend is Canadian Thanksgiving and there's gonna be a lot of swooning over the changing leaves and some damned-autumnal colour-wearing in the coming weeks)

Comments