stop!

Anthropologie Southward Stop Shirtdress

I don't know what it is about this dress that inspires such passionate ...ambivalence?  I know 80% of why I succumbed to a posting on the EA board is that this dress is so desired, and it was the right price and in my size range.  I had managed to avoid a few such postings, but the dress was still in my wishlist, and I still sought out new bloggers trying it out....gah!  I was pretty certain while waiting for it to arrive that I might just turn around and sell it again...but then it came in the mail on Friday and well...

It's really not my style- I couldn't say why not exactly.  I love cute little woodsy scenes in that ugly wallpaper aesthetic kinda way, I love shirtdresses, I like the seventies-ishness of it and yet...I hate the cap sleeves, I'm not in love with the chevron pleats for some reason, the colour is just a little too bland...and yet...I love the contrast with the bright twig jackie cardigan, and I like pairing it with a little polka dot to bring out the piping, and it's got that drawing style of imagery I love and yet...oh, it's so bland...and (grrrrr) cutesy...

Hmmm..okay, okay, I'm...sold!  I do have nothing quite like it, and it totally draws me to throw in intense colours and patterns to bring out the delicate tracery of the design.  Oh yeah, and the man came home and thought it was adorable (such a curse, 'cuteness,' but I guess he's allowed of all people), so there we go. egad, I'm such a putz.
Jackie cardigan- J Crew, vintage belt, rust Hue tights (got a boxload for Christmas...!), Water Row boots- Indigo, vintage silk scarf
Vermillion cardigan- Bedo

Not sure about the scarf, really, but definitely needs colour! floral cardigan- Joe Fresh, belt- Gap


I still hate the cap sleeves- I have them folded in here...

Lisa at Respect the Shoes will be doing a photo series with pets, so Ghibli got in on the action...figured it was appropriate to the critter theme of the dress.

Comments

  1. OMG that kitty is as big as you are, so cute!
    I was never a fan of this dress but it looks great on you. Definitely needs those deep color cardis for contrast. Really like the pattern mixing outfit too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. though it may noy be your style completely, as you say, however it suits you perfectly, especially in the first pic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. goodness your kitty is such a cute thing! I love the fluffball-like fur!
    I think you've done very well to style the Southward stop dress to suit your personal style. I particular love that first outfit - definitely not bland or too cutesy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fluffy kitty! The dress looks great on you and part of why it was such a hit is the fit. I'm glad you're keeping it. It looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the dress's print, love the looks with the red and green cardigans and the wide belt...I think you worked it three or four different ways and well!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG!!! Your cat is Awesome! I love cats! I happen to own 2. Anyway....You look so great in that dress. Even if you don't think so :) I am in love with all of the looks especially number 3. Love the snap of color with that belt. Am in love with the green Cardigan which happens to be a weakness with me Green, Chartreuse Love it! You did a great job with all the looks.Totally

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just loved how u paired the dress with a green cardigan .. they just look like made for each other

    ReplyDelete
  8. lol, I couldn't help laughing at how you thought 'cutesy' was a cringe-worthy word. So I'll stay away from it. This whole outfit looks very practical! And your kitty is your best accessory :) She's purrrrrrfect!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this dress and how you've worked it so many different ways. It looks great on you. Love your blog and your cat! It's possible your cat is the same size as my dog. Ha ha ~ super cute! ~ Susan

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cap sleeves are almost always annoying. Why is that? I do like the print on the dress and especially love it with that green cardi. Your cat is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a pretty dress and I love how you showcased it so many ways!

    Stay Happy and Positive!

    besos,

    ML


    20 YORK STREET

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks! Kitty is basking in your compliments too, and he wants you all to know that he's just...big-boned. yes.
    I love how taking photos of an article of clothing makes its potential clearer...
    though I've come to the realization that I have so many chartreuse tops and cardigans (many from J Crew)that it's a wee bit embarassing...but I love them so!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely pairing of the dress with the olive cardi!

    Your kitty is cute!

    ReplyDelete
  14. OMG....love the dress, especially with the green cardi.
    The cat is awesome. I have a Maine Coon that weighs 18 lbs. Your cat is a big one....how much does he weigh?

    ReplyDelete
  15. um...24 pounds (!)...he is very active and playful, and not super food-motivated, but he has gained weight in the last couple of years so I`m going to have to work with the vet this spring to see what we can do.
    I love Maine Coons- best cats ever!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I had the exact same reaction to this dress, but I guess we sort of have to keep it. It looks especially fantastic with the green cardigan.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your outfit posts so much.
    I love the bird pattern on that dress. Fantastic
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment