polyvoracious

We all have those days where you suddenly realize a word or a tool or a place has been frequented all along but somehow it's new to you.  I just started playing around with polyvore, and like many such things, I have been spending way, way too much time browsing and acquring images for what I have or would like to try.  Seeing your select closet in miniature is great for perspective.  It's amazing how hard it is to find images of certain products if they haven't been reviewed online though!  Like for instance the Haute Candy tank, which went on sale in August and I just finally scored on a popback.  Can't find it anywhere!  There's a product shot of the back on polyvore actually (!), but I'm not finding much otherwise.  And yet I'm looking forward to how versatile it might be for layering and pattern mixing...(um, I guess I'll have the the genuine article soon).  You can see some of it's potential here.

Half the fun is the search, really, so I've been hunting down old product shots here and there- still no luck on the haute candy, the Maeve brown windowpane dress from 2009 (my first anthropologie!) or the stunning Chie Mihara's I bought on ebay this spring...

I've never had trouble mixing and matching in the morning- I love the process of improvising- but I find accessorizing through polyvore quite handy (and...erm...have already purchased a necklace while creating a set actually!)

freckled 'n scalloped




And if I'd only had this as a reference the other day when I was getting dressed (and feeling uninspired)- I would surely have added a small grosgrain bow at the neck to make it more...snappy. or Kurt-esque- if you will (oh glee... )



dressing Kurt 



















 J Crew gingham product shot from summer 2010







































The checked shirt I have is from the last of the Isaac Mizrahi/ Liz Claiborne collection in 2009- I got a few on super liquidation in the spring- they have such beautiful contrast accents at the cuff and collar!  And I totally should have worn the Minnies.



Which reminds me, I never did get my hands on THAT dress...


Comments

  1. Oh, I'm so envious of you with the Scalloped Clouds skirt! I ordered one from a store when it went on sale but they "misplaced" my order and I never ended up getting one, sigh. Anyway, I think it looks stunning with the shape and details of those Chies! Great pairing. And speaking of stunning -- that IM for LC dress, dreamy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah- as far as I can tell that dress never, ever turned up on ebay!!

    And wow- has the effortless trade forum ever been good to me, stuck in Canadaland- scalloped clouds, great escape skirt (twice! one got lost in the mail...), precious materials cardigan...
    Actually, I think I saw a dotted version of scalloped skirt on the board today...!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean about THAT dress...I was soooo in love with it...every magazine I found had that advertisement!! I didn't get it either...booo..
    Kristina J.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know, I never thought of using Polyvore to play around with my own items. Very Cher on Clueless!

    Love these outfits - they're both so different, but equally fab.

    And, yes, that dress. I remember it well. Never found it in stores though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gee, if I didn't just use my own items I would be shopping more!!

    and aha- that clinches it! So this dress must have never actually been available ever, anywhere!

    Darn you Kristina, and your sewing skills- I expect you already made your own version, even lovelier, by expertly cobbling together 3 gap kids dresses. Am I right? Will you make me one?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love love love the tiered scalloped dress (whatever it's called). So pretty!

    Call Me Ishmael

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment